Best Arbor Day Gifts for Trees
What are you getting your trees for Arbor Day? Show them some love! Get a check up to be sure they’re healthy. Catch problems early. Of course, you can never go wrong with a day at the spa, better known in the tree world as, tree pruning.
Check out our latest video by Rob Nagy, Giroud Arborist showing our crew pruning a majestic Sycamore.
To pick the best gift for your trees, you need to start by taking a good look at your trees to see what they need most. Be alert for:
- Poor bud development: Check branches for small or less developed buds than the rest of the tree or dried or no buds at the tips. Also, look for uneven bloom on flowering trees.
- Leaf irregularities: Late to leaf out or only some sections of the tree leaf out, yellowing or discolored leaves and Lack of new growth or dwarf leaves.
- Insects: One of the biggest insect problems this year is Borers with Emerald Ash Borer leading the list. Emerald Ash Borer is 100% fatal to Ash trees. Professional treatment is the only way to protect Ash from this deadly pest.
- Decay: Mushrooms and shelf fungi are symptoms of decay when growing out of the root system or trunk of a tree. Another sign of decay is a cavity. If the decay is extensive, then the tree may be hazardous.
- Excessive deadwood: Dead branches can be a serious safety hazard to people and property. Brittle branches tend to break more easily in storms.
Call us if you spot any of these problems! Your Giroud Arborist can evaluate the problem and determine if action is necessary.