You might think it’s safe to stop worrying about ticks in winter. Not true! You still need to be vigilant to protect your family and pets from illnesses spread by ticks.
While summer is prime time, ticks unfortunately are still active in the Fall and Winter. According to a recent news article by Jerry Carino, Staff Writer on USA Today’s App.com: “You can get bitten by a tick year-round,” said Patricia Smith, president of the Wall-based Lyme Disease Association. “Unfortunately, now we know the ticks can be active when it’s above freezing.”
It’s pretty much common knowledge that ticks are dangerous. But, far worse than the bad rash and the pain of removing the tick, these nasty pests spread Lyme Disease, the deadly Powassan Virus, and other serious illnesses.
Our suburbs are a hot spot for Lyme Disease cases according to the Center for Disease Control (CDC). Unfortunately, the problem is getting worse as more cases are reported each year. Now, there’s a new threat, the Powassan Virus which is spread by infected ticks in as little as 15 minutes of the tick burrowing in the skin.
How to control ticks in the yard.
Tick Control: The best way to control ticks in your yard is to target where they live. Black Legged Ticks aka Deer Ticks like the shade and seek protection from the sun in ground-level vegetation. Favorite hiding spots include high grasses, underbrush, shrubs, and wooded areas. Here’s what Giroud does to control this dangerous pest:
- Tick Risk Evaluation: Your Giroud Arborist will complete a risk assessment of your property to identify tick danger zones and develop a customized tick control program.
- Perimeter Clean-up: Ticks are shade lovers and can’t survive in the sun. The Giroud Team can eliminate shady tick habitats in two ways. First, cleaning up and/or clearing overgrown areas. Second, pruning tree branches and shrubs around the lawn edge to let in more sunlight.
- Deer Repellent: Deer are the primary carrier of ticks to your property. Our Deer Repellant service is safe, water-resistant, and will deter deer from feeding on your valuable plants!
- 100% Organic Tick Control Treatments: Giroud’s specially licensed applicators will treat around the perimeter of your property and other high-risk areas. Our 100% organic treatment is made from essential oils including Peppermint and Cedar oils which are natural tick repellent. Traditional tick control treatments are also available.
- Plant Selection: We will identify plants that are attracting deer to your yard and suggest alternative plants. HGTV provides a list of plants that are repellent to deer.