As we wind down the end of the summer and move into the cozier months of fall, it may be tempting to stop thinking about the outside of your property. However, Fall is actually a great time to plant a new tree! With the bulk of gardening and lawn maintenance behind us, you can reassess your property and consider how planting a new tree will add value and beauty to your yard.
Why Fall is an Ideal Time to Plant a New Tree
“Trees planted in fall have more time to establish a growing root system before the hot, dry weather next summer,” explains Giroud ISA Certified Arborist and Vice President, Drew Slousky. “With the cooler temperatures, fall is not a stressful season for a new planting, and a new tree will be better able to tolerate conditions like a drought next year.”
According to Penn State’s Agricultural Extension, however, you should plant early enough in the autumn season for your young tree to establish a good root system. This is typically at least 6 weeks before the first frost of the year. If you want your new tree to thrive and live a long life, you need to be sure it will love the spot where you want to plant it.
Here’s how Giroud’s Tree Planting service can help you transform your landscape:
- Decide What Your Landscape Needs: There are many reasons to plant new trees or shrubs. Your Giroud ISA Certified Arborist will talk with you about what you want to accomplish and help pick the best location. For example, many homeowners want to:
- Replace a tree that has died or outgrown its current location and requires tree removal.
- Build a privacy screen or sound barrier (pictured)
- Provide shade for a patio, porch or other area
- Add color with a tree that flowers or changes color with the seasons
- Create a focal point with a plant that has unusual branch formation, interesting bark or other characteristics
- Select the best plants for the location: Once you decide where to plant, your Giroud Arborist can help you select the best plant for that special spot. It is extremely important to consider:
- Space: How much room does the tree have to grow in height and spread? The tree’s growth habit should match the space available.
- Location: Is area sunny, shady or open to the wind and other weather?
- Soil conditions: What type of soil will the tree grow in: loose, wet, rocky or compact?
- Proximity to Other Structures: Will the tree be near a patio, walkway, other plantings or a window?
- Give it a strong start: Whatever tree you choose, give it good care from the start.
- Water: Keep the soil moist, but not wet, through the first year.
- Fertilize: Have Giroud inject fertilizer treatment that’s specially formulated to help young trees get established.
- Pruning: To develop good branch structure, it’s important to have Giroud prune the young tree every one to three years.
- Check its progress: Have your Giroud Arborist monitor the tree annually to ensure it maintains good health.
Why should you hire an ISA Certified Arborist to plant your new tree?
Location, species of tree, and how your new tree will balance your landscape are all important items to consider when planting a new tree. Your Giroud Arborist will do a full evaluation of your entire property before recommending the best tree for you. As an ISA Certified Arborist, he will explain the pros and cons of the various types of trees you are considering. He will also consider the entire life of the tree and how it will affect and enhance your property for years to come.
Things to ask before choosing a tree service company to plant your tree:
- Are you an ISA Certified Arborist?
- Have you performed a tree planting with this particular type of tree?
- Do you have recommendations from other satisfied customers for whom you’ve provided tree care services?
- What are the professional credentials of the crew who will be on site for my tree planting?
It all Starts with a Property Inspection by an ISA Certified Arborist
Giroud’s ISA Certified Arborists have a wealth of experience and training to properly choose the best tree to plant on your property. Call 215-682-7704 today to schedule a FREE Property Evaluation for your new tree planting!