Frequently Asked Lawn Questions
While we visit your property regularly, you have the advantage of being there every day. As a result, you are in a great position to be our partner in keeping your lawn healthy and beautiful. The best place to start is to provide you with information about your lawn and our program.One thing is certain, nature is constantly changing. Too much rainfall, too dry, excessive heat and many other environmental conditions, all contribute to the look and health of your lawn.
Here are answers to the most frequently asked questions.
- “When will you come out?” Our Traditional program has 6 treatments, each 6-8 weeks apart plus an optional annual Lime Application.
- Early Spring: Fertilizer Treatment . Pre-emergent crabgrass control. Broadleaf weed control.
- Late Spring: Fertilizer Treatment. Pre-emergent crabgrass control. Broadleaf weed control.
- Early Summer: Fertilizer Treatment. Preventative grub control.
- Late Summer: Fertilizer Treatment. Organic Based Summer Formula.
- Early Fall: Fertilizer Treatment. Broadleaf weed control. Surface feeding insect control.
- Late Fall: Fertilizer Treatment. Broadleaf weed control.
- Optional Annual Lime Application: Most soils in the Philadelphia area are acidic, lime normally needs to be added annually to get and keep your soil pH in balance. Balanced pH is the only way your lawn can get access to the full benefits of the fertilizer and nutrients we apply in Giroud’s Six Visit Lawn Program.
- “When can we walk on the lawn?” We primarily use granular fertilizer and liquid weed control. Liquid treatments dry in under an hour.
- “Can my lawn treatment be done on a specific day?”Unfortunately, we can not provide a regular or specified day for your treatment. It is very important that you allow Giroud to perform your lawn treatment on the day we schedule it. Timing is critical. Requesting a different day or time often delays the treatment which can affect the health and appearance of your lawn.
- “Is it safe for my children and animals?” Our EPA registered products, properly applied by our trained and PA licensed technicians, require no special precautions other than waiting an hour for liquid products to dry.
- “What if it rains?” Fertilizer and insect control are in pellet form and can actually benefit from the rain! Rain will not affect liquid treatments, if it begins at least an hour after the treatment is applied.
- “When can I mow my lawn?” Lawns may be mowed about an hour after a liquid application. Granular fertilizer is not affected. Giroud does not recommend bagging clippings. Lawn clippings are a source of free nutrients for the lawn and do not contribute to thatch buildup. Lawns should be mowed at height of 3-4″ to provide a canopy to retain soil moisture, shade weed and crabgrass seeds, and facilitate deep root growth. It is recommended that no more than 1/3 of top growth be removed per cutting. Please request your mowing contractor to make slow turns with riding equipment so as to not tear up the lawn.
- “Why is my lawn browning in the summer?” If you do not have irrigation, it is normal for your lawn to go dormant and not look it’s best in July and August. Seasonal turf diseases may also temporarily discolor a lawn. Most summer stress goes away with the arrival of cooler weather.
- Why does my lawn have weeds? Unfortunately, weeds and weedy grasses love hot weather and will grow more aggressively than your lawn in summer. You may find that weeds will pop up between treatments. This is not a problem. We will treat those weeds on our next visit. For your lawn’s protection, Giroud does not apply herbicides when lawns are under drought or heat stress. Using herbicides in hot, dry conditions will kill off good grass along with the weeds. Weeds will be treated with the return of cooler temperatures and moisture.
- “What’s the deal with Nutsedge?” This aggressive plant has invaded our region and spreads rapidly. It is lighter green and grows faster and taller than turfgrass. Control is beyond the reach of our traditional lawn program and requires the use of a specialty herbicide. We now offer a special Nutsedge Control Program. Treatments are precisely timed and may require several applications for adequate control.
- “Why is the last treatment of the year so important?” Here’s why. We apply the final 25% of the soil nutrients required for your lawn to be green and healthy. Those nutrients are key because roots continue to grow through late Fall. As it gets colder, unused nutrients will be stored and used to green up your lawn for spring.
No problem! Our friendly staff is available Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm and happy to take your call as well as connect you to your Arborist. You can also email us at any time at [email protected].